No A pan card is not mandatory for a passport it is only optional document. As per Indian Govt. Guidelines It is not necessary to provide a PAN card when applying for a passport.
Passport authority only need address proof where you can submit following documents and even you can represent your aadhar card and election card as an birth proof and adress proof as well.
There is a clear set of instructions regarding which documents can be submitted as proof of birth and proof of address. If you are confused regarding which documents to submit, then refer to the list provided below.
Documents for Address Proof –
- Water Bill
- Electricity Bill
- Aadhaar Card
- Telephone Bill
- Rent Agreement
- Proof of Gas Connection
- Income Tax Assessment Order
- Election Commission Photo ID card
- Parent’s passport copy, in case of minors(First and last page)
- Certificate from Employer of reputed companies on letter head Photo Passbook of running Bank Account (Scheduled Public Sector Banks, Scheduled
Private Sector Indian Banks and Regional Rural Banks only):
Spouse’s passport copy (First and last page including family details mentioning applicant’s name as a spouse of the passport holder), (provided the applicant’s present address matches the address mentioned in the spouse’s passport)
For Date of Birth Proof (DOB)-
- Aadhaar Card/E-Aadhaar
- Transfer/School leaving/Matriculation Certificate issued by the school last attended/recognised educational board
- Policy Bond issued by the Public Life Insurance Corporations/Companies having the DOB of the holder of the insurance policy
- Election Photo Identity Card (EPIC) issued by the Election Commission of India
- PAN Card issued by the Income Tax Department
- Driving License issued by the Transport department of concerned state Government
- A declaration given by the Head of the Orphanage/Child Care Home on their official letterhead of the organization confirming the DOB of the applicant
- Birth Certificate issued by the Registrar of Births and Deaths or the Municipal Corporation or any other prescribed authority, whosoever has been empowered under the Registration of Birth and Deaths Act, 1969 to register the birth of a child born in India
- Copy of an extract of the service record of the applicant (only in respect of Government servants) or the Pay Pension Order (in respect of retired Government Servants), duly attested/certified by the officer/in-charge of the Administration of the concerned Ministry/Department of the applicant
Note : Documents mentioned in point 6 to 9 are acceptable as proof of Date of Birth only if it has the precise Date of Birth of the applicant.
Know what are documents required to apply for fresh passport : Click here